The AltspaceVR team has received multiple requests about how we can support educators and students in virtual learning environments during the Coronavirus outbreak. We’re here to help and we hope our platform can bring people together in a meaningful way during this time.
Example of educational events in AltspaceVR:
Bellevue College recently used AltspaceVR to live-stream lectures from their Spring 2020 course “Virtual Worlds“, allowing international audiences to join the conversation in real-time. Led by guest speakers and full-time Bellevue College faculty, the virtual lecture series grew in popularity week-after-week.
Additionally, in February 2020, community members from AltspaceVR hosted the “Educators in VR Summit” which included 100 hours of content and 150 speakers (including VR mainstays like Kent Bye, Tom Furness and Charlie Fink). Around 6,000 people joined over 6 days. This community-driven effort was put on and run without any direct support from AltspaceVR. That effort shows the potential for how these kinds of conferences can tackle climate change/remote work/global outbreaks like Coronavirus in the future. On the topic of the environment, taking into consideration the travel time and CO2 estimates, the Educators in VR Summit took 14 thousand cars off the road for the week of the event and saved attendees around 15,169,530 miles of travel.
- We support all major VR headsets (Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality.)
- We support an unlimited audience through our Front Row technology.
- Moderation (Tools available include: Block, Report, Kick, Mute, and Personal Space Bubble)
- Hosting (Tools available include: Mute All, Hand Raise, Stage Blocking, Mirror, Megaphone, Host Panel, Participation Panel)
How to host your own event:
- Use our website to login or create an account.
- Once you’re logged in, go to the “My Events” tab and select “Schedule My Event.“
- Fill in the details of your event, select which space best suits your need and save. (Advanced options let you upload your own tile and banner image, so you can better brand your event.)
- You can view and modify your event under the “My Events” tab both online and in-world.
Can I get extra help?
Yes! We’re here to help. AltspaceVR has a dedicated Events Team who can help answer questions, offer demos, and provide educators and students with support. You can reach out to us directly at altvr.com/support/. Additionally our Campfire hub space is always staffed with an Admin, who can also offer support and guidance in-world.